The seaside resort of Saint Gilles Croix de Vie is located near our campsite and St Hilaire de Riez and you will find there more :
- fishing and marina harbour
- sea and river fishing
- the station
- equestrian centre
- mini-golf, canoeing
- casino, cinema complex, discotheque
Saint Gilles Croix de Vie is a great place for a swim or a visit to this beautiful little seaside resort known for its fishing and yachting harbours but also for its history linked to fishing and its industry. It is located south of Saint de Hilaire de Riez and Saint Jean de Monts and north of Sables d’Olonne and Brétignolles sur Mer. It is an ideal destination for exploring the Vendée coast.
A charming seaside resort steeped in history
Located on the Côte de Lumière in the Vendée, St Gilles Croix de Vie was created in 1967 by the unification of the two communes located on either side of the River Vie: Croix-de-Vie and Saint-Gilles-sur-Vie. Discover its preserved heritage and this seaside resort classified since 1982. St Gilles Croix de Vie is also a maritime heritage on the Vendée coastline with its marina and fishing port.
A fishing and pleasure harbour to stroll around the boats
Take a stroll along the quays of the marina “Port La Vie” and admire the hundreds of small and large boats moored at the pontoons. And what would the city be without its fishing port, the first sardine port on the Atlantic coast? The site has room for 52 fishing boats, which you can see during your camping holiday. You will be able to visit the fish market but also La Perle des Dieux, a company that produces fresh sardines that are preserved, sorted, cut and canned by them. 130 years of history and experience to discover and taste during your stay.
The beaches of Saint Gilles Croix de Vie
- The Boisvinet Beach located between the cornice and the pier is the ideal place for families with its fine sandy beach, its nautical base and its club for children. Swimming, activities and sunbathing are on the agenda!
- For wave lovers, the Grande Plage is waiting for you! 3 km of pure happiness that extends to Bretignolles sur Mer. To your surfboards, kitesurfs, sand yachts for the most sporty…
Markets in Saint Gilles
All year round and in season, these are the places to go to buy freshly landed seafood from the fishing port, including the famous sardines, traditional local products such as local ham, mojette, préfou, salt, brioche, troussepinette, wines from the Vendée fiefs, shellfish, not forgetting the usual merchants of clothes and utensils.
- The market on the Place Guy Kergoustin
- On the St-Gilles side, the market on the Place du vieux port
- The Herb Market